Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Review of My Dear Miss Dupre by Grace Hitchcock

About the Book ~

Thirty suitors, six months of courting . . .would it be enough time for her to fall in love?

Willow Dupré never thought she would have to marry, but with her father's unexpected retirement from running the prosperous Dupré sugar refinery, she is forced into a different future. The shareholders are unwilling to allow a female to take over the company without a man at her side, so her parents devise a plan--find Willow a spokesman king in order for her to become queen of the business empire.

Willow is presented with thirty potential suitors from the families of New York society's elite group called the Four Hundred. She has six months to court the group and is told to to eliminate men each month to narrow her beaus until she chooses one to marry, ending the competition with a wedding. Willow reluctantly agrees, knowing she must do what is best for the business. She doesn't expect to find anything other than a proxy . . . until she meets a gentleman who captures her attention, and she must discover for herself if his motives are pure.

For more information about Grace Hitchcock and her books, check out her website here!

My Thoughts ~

I was thoroughly charmed, enamored, and swept away by you, My Dear Miss Dupre!

Right off the bat, I want to establish that I have never been a fan of the TV shows The Bachelor and/or The Bachelorette. No...just...no. However, this concept has spun some fantastic, absolutely golden fiction, and My Dear Miss Dupre by Grace Hitchcock is a superb example of that! 

The setting of My Dear Miss Dupre was glamourous and romantic, like something you'd imagine seeing on Downton Abbey. The pacing of the story moved quickly, and I was surprised and delighted at the different ways the author incorporated dramatic twists and intense subplots. Furthermore, I loved getting the perspectives of multiple men, all of whom were extremely well-developed. And this clever tactic proved to be just enough misdirection to muddle who Willow would choose to marry in the end. Don't worry -- no spoilers on the hero's identity! However, I will say that my favorite hero was chosen, and I adored his character development! 

Willow was an exceptional heroine! Her heart was so relatable as she struggled to trust God as all her dreams spiraled out of control around her. She aptly portrayed so many struggles that plague women in today's culture, including the debate between being a successful career woman versus the romance and marriage-minded woman. Willow's story dismantled the narrative that you can only be one or the other, instead refocusing on the truth of who God created you to be, your unique gifts, and those God-given desires of your heart.

Five Stars ~ My Dear Miss Dupre by Grace Hitchcock is thoroughly charming! My Dear Miss Dupre is the first novel of the author's American Royalty Series, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book!

Disclaimer ~ In accordance with FTC regulations, I received a copy of this book from the publisher. I was not compensated, nor was a positive review required. All opinions expressed are my own.

See you next time, and God bless you guys!!!

Hugs!

~V. Joy Palmer

V. Joy Palmer loves to write romantic and comedic stories that proclaim God’s deep love for us. She’s a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and an avid blogger. In her spare time, Joy loves to sing (especially Disney songs), drink large quantities of coffee, and take flowery photos for Bookstagram. When Joy isn’t fighting with fictional people, she’s hanging out with her husband and their adorable little girl. Connect with Joy via www.vjoypalmer.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment