Saturday, August 3, 2019

Review of The String by Caleb Breakey


My Thoughts ~

Rule #1: Participation is mandatory.
Rule #2: If any one person refuses to play, the threats to all players will come to pass.

Since this is my game, allow me to introduce myself. I am the conductor. Just as musicians in a symphony must follow the conductor's direction, the selected students and staff of Trenton University must submit to my commands...or risk massive chaos and deadly consequences. Even that pesky university cop, Markus Haas, who thinks he'll find a way out of the impossible dilemma in which I've trapped him. Oh, the surprises I have for him.

Ready to play?

For more information about Caleb Breakey and his books, check out his website here!

My Thoughts ~

Ted Dekker fans will want to purchase The String by Caleb Breakey immediately! In fact, just add this author to your auto-buy list. Don't think. Just do it.

And then sleep with all the lights on...LOL!

I love a well-written story with overflowing buckets of suspense, mystery, and thrilling content... The String more than lived up to what I had hoped to discover between the pages! It's hard to find a story that truly gives an adrenaline rush, but The String did! Man, it really did! The events kept building and building until the explosive climax! Twists, turns, subtle clues, and jaw-dropping reveals are only some of what make up the story! I could easily see this becoming a movie one day!

I loved all the different perspectives in The String! Given the nature of the story, I felt like the abundance of perspectives added a unique realism to the story as you watched the different characters reveal their motivations and secrets. The villain reminded me of a cross between Batman's Joker and Ted Dekker's Marsuvees Black from The Paradise Trilogy! He was the type of villain where you (eventually) understand what lead him to this dark place, and the author did an amazing job of shocking me with the villain's identity! And Markus Haas, well, he was a hero in every sense of the word! While definitely not perfect, he had an honorable code and a growing hunger for God!

Understandably, there are some dark elements to this story what with the villain's twisted past and disturbing life-or-death games, but it was awesome to see some of the characters not only cry out to God but also embrace the truth that the villain's evil could not harm them in the way that matters!

Five Stars - The String by Caleb Breakey is thrilling! The String ends on a cliffhanger -- and from what I understand -- it is the first book in the author's Deadly Games Series from Revell. Despite the cliffhanger, I felt like the big question of the book was answered, and the cliffhanger leaves readers with burning questions for the next book! I can't wait to read it!

Disclaimer ~ In accordance with FTC regulations, I received a copy of this book from the publisher. I was not compensated, nor was a positive review required. All opinions expressed are my own.

See you next time, and God bless you guys!!!

Hugs!

~V. Joy Palmer

V. Joy Palmer is the author of Love, Lace, and Minor Alterations and Weddings, Willows, and Revised Expectations, and she is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. She is also an avid blogger and co-founder of Snack Time Devotions. In her spare time, Joy is an unprofessional chocolate connoisseur/binger, and she loves acting crazy and drinking coffee with the teens she mentors. When Joy isn’t urging the elves that live in her computer to write, she’s hanging out with her husband, their adorable baby girl, and their socially awkward pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment