Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Review of The Spice King by Elizabeth Camden


About the Book ~

Gray Delacroix has dedicated his life to building an acclaimed global spice empire, but it has come at a cost. Resolved to salvage his family before they spiral out of control, he returns to his ancestral home for good after years of traveling the world.

As a junior botanist for the Smithsonian, Annabelle Larkin has been charged with the impossible task of gaining access to the notoriously private Delacroix plant collection. If she fails, she will be out of a job and the family farm in Kansas will go under. She has no idea that in gaining entrance to the Delacroix world, she will unwittingly step into a web of dangerous political intrigue far beyond her experience.

Unable to deny her attraction to the reclusive business tycoon, Annabelle will be forced to choose between her heart and loyalty to her country. Can Gray and Annabelle find a way through the storm of scandal without destroying the family Gray is trying to save?

For more information about Elizabeth Camden and her books, check out her website here!

My Thoughts ~

The Spice King by Elizabeth Camden wasn't at all what I expected, but what I found between these pages fascinated me!

The Spice King is rich in history and science, and I absolutely loved that about it! This is one of those gorgeous fictional stories that I could see being used in school curriculum to engage students in history and science! I loved seeing the political landscape through the eyes of Gray and Annabelle in Washington, DC during the Gilded Age. I loved learning more about the different departments of the government in this timeframe. I loved the science -- both past and present -- of botany. The details about adulterated foods in the twentieth century horrified me! All of these components were fascinating by themselves, but the addition of a political thriller/mystery that is sure to come out during the rest of the series made it even better!

Gray and Annabelle were an interesting couple! While not soulmate characters for me, I found them to be well-written and likeable. And Gray channeled some serious Mr. Darcy vibes, so he's obviously pretty awesome! Gray and Annabelle's relationship really explored the range of emotions from betrayal to forgiveness after Annabelle is pushed into a moral corner. The exploration of that fallout is an angsty trial that I could relate to -- one I'm sure many other readers will also understand. Another thing that I appreciated is that Gray's journey to not only forgiving but also understanding Annabelle's decision wasn't rushed. I also liked how the author used these things to highlight our God-given purposes in life.

Four Stars ~ The Spice King by Elizabeth Camden is a fascinating story! The Spice King is the first book in the author's new Hope and Glory Series from Bethany House! I'm looking forward to continuing the underlying mystery in the next book!

Disclaimer ~ In accordance with FTC regulations, I received a copy of this book from the publisher. I was not compensated, nor was a positive review required. All opinions expressed are my own.

See you next time, and God bless you guys!!!

Hugs!

~V. Joy Palmer

V. Joy Palmer is the author of Love, Lace, and Minor Alterations and Weddings, Willows, and Revised Expectations, and she is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. She is also an avid blogger and co-founder of Snack Time Devotions. In her spare time, Joy is an unprofessional chocolate connoisseur/binger, and she loves acting crazy and drinking coffee with the teens she mentors. When Joy isn’t urging the elves that live in her computer to write, she’s hanging out with her husband, their adorable baby girl, and their socially awkward pets.


No comments:

Post a Comment