Thursday, March 16, 2017

Review of The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron



From the Back Cover:

Not all illusions happen on the stage.

Wren Lockhart, apprentice to master illusionist Harry Houdini, uses life on a vaudeville stage to
escape the pain of her past. She continues her career of illusion after her mentor’s death, intent on burying her true identity.

But when a rival performer’s act goes tragically wrong, the newly formed FBI calls on Wren to speak the truth—and reveal her real name to the world. She transfers her skills for misdirection from the stage to the back halls of vaudeville, as she finds herself the unlikely partner in the FBI’s investigation. All the while Houdini’s words echo in her mind: Whatever occurs, the crowd must believe it’s what you meant to happen. She knows that if anyone digs too deep, secrets long kept hidden may find their way to the surface—and shatter her carefully controlled world.

Set during one of the richest, most vibrant eras in American history, this Jazz Age novel of illusion, suspense, and forgotten pasts is perfect for fans of The Magician’s Lie, challenging all to find the underpinnings of faith on their own life’s stage.

For more information about Kristy Cambron and her books, check out her website here!

My Thoughts:

"Truth is the illusion we always chase." - Elliot Matthews, The Illusionist's Apprentice

I should say that I'm a sucker for anything vintage related. And I'm a fool for all 1920's Jazz Age things.

So. Yeah. *foolish grin*

Despite my love of all things vintage, I still found myself enjoying certain aspects of this novel more than I even thought I would. Stunning! Kristy Cambron paints such a vivid picture of vaudeville that I could almost feel the handcuffs and hear the applause of the crowd...

Sorry, got lost there for a moment. ; )

Wren Lockhart is an illusionist who longs to be free, but she lives her life behind illusions. I enjoyed seeing her break free from her chains to find real peace. While we see plenty from the loveable Elliot Matthews, the story revolves mostly around Wren. We don't tread the depths of Elliot's backstory very much, so the glimpses we receive are meaningful. I loved seeing him learn what a hero really was. Sometimes a hero rushes into battle. And sometimes he waits.

Four Stars. A beautiful, stunning portrayal with an equally stunning message. The suspenseful mystery proved to be complex, yet utterly fascinating.  The Illusionist's Apprentice is Kristy Cambron's fourth book, but it is a standalone novel.

I received a copy of The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron published by Thomas Nelson from BookLook Bloggers. All opinions expressed are my own.

God bless you guys, and I'll see you next time!

Hugs!

~V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment