Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Little Writer That Could (I sold a book!)

Hey everyone! I got to tell you, rejection is the hardest thing in the world to handle.

I also have to tell you, that you can't escape it.

*Insert sad, little sliding flute sound that I couldn't find a clip of anywhere. The internet has failed me.  :\  *

I can tell that was just the news you all want to hear today. I know, not very uplifting. And in the life of a writer, it's one of the hardest things to accept. I have met writer friends who have spent years trying to get published. Manuscript after manuscript.

Heart wrenching rejection after heart wrenching rejection.

Then we get told that it will all happen in God's time.

"Well, I'm looking at my watch God, and I think it's time. If you don't, get a new watch."

That line doesn't go over so well.

There are about a billion things in life that don't come easily. It requires a lot of hard work. Followed by a few rejections, ice cream, a treadmill, and then trying again.

"But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

You can't stop believing. You can't stop going. Lying in bed eating chocolate only helps for a little while. Then you start to break out, and you are still in the same place you were before.

Keep going!

I have a very motivational book for you to read. I think it's one you are all familiar with. (And if not, then I feel old.) Get it. Read it. Even now, many years later, I still remember the message. The main character had to fight insurmountable elements to make it to the top.

The Little Engine That Could!


There's a lot to learn from this. Mostly, never give up. Never surrender. You can do it! God has given you wind and wings and a dream! Keep going until you are soring!

For a writer, it doesn't stop the moment you sign the dotted line. but you keep pressing forward. Eventually you come to trust God with the details.

I pitched my first novel, and I got a good response to it. I sent it out to editors and agents. I checked my e-mail more times then I'd care to admit.

And I waited.

I kept writing. Rewriting. Plotting. Re-plotting.

Then some rejections started to come.

It crushed me. Like I said, rejection isn't easy. For awhile I felt like God had let me down. (Thankfully, He's got big shoulders!) I moved past that.

I kept going.

Then I got an e-mail.

One that filled me with a hope and stopped my heart all at once.

My book was going to committee the next day! And thus began the longest day of my life. A day spent in prayer. Seeking God's will. And truly knowing it would be okay, no matter the outcome.


It was a yes! I signed a contract with WhiteFire Publishing! I am beyond excited!

I'm the little writer that could, you guys.


See you guys on August 10th! :) God bless you!

V. Joy Palmer

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy and so proud of you! You are amazing! I can't wait to see it in printed format!!!

    ReplyDelete