Friday, February 20, 2015

On the Fence

The warm summer sun kissed her face. A sweet breeze filled with the scent of wildflowers and grass tickled her nose. Jana tilted her head to the sky, and smiled.

Now this was life.

She was content. She was happy. Nothing could bring her down. Jana got lost in the sunshine. Her eyes were closed, and she peacefully hummed the melody of her heart.


When Jana opened her eyes, she was surprised to find that the beautiful summer day she had been enjoying had disappeared. Now, dark clouds filled the sky and the cool air spoke of things to come.

"Come here."

Jana looked around. Who had said that? Where was the voice coming from? Her heart started to beat faster as she considered the possibilities.

"Get off the fence," the sickly sweet voice called again. Jana couldn't see who was talking, but the voice came from the darkness at the edge of the forest.

"No," another voice shouted! "Choose me!"

Jana glanced over her shoulder in the direction of the second voice. This side seemed happier, and the voice sounded warmer, more loving even.

What was she supposed to do?

The voices continued to war for her soul. Screaming until Jana had to cover her ears with her shaking hands.

And that's when she realized where she was.


Hey guys! How have you been doing? You met Jana just now. Jana is faced with a major decision, and she realized that she was already living her life in accordance with one of the life-style choices. But which one?

Well, to answer that, we are going to need to talk first.

So today, I wanted to talk about a popular love-hate relationship. I think you all know the one I am referring, too. You either love it, or you hate it. There is no in the middle relationship.

Or so they say.

It's...

Country music!


I know people who consider country music a carnal sin, but I know other's who follow all the country stars, all the time, and go to every concert.

Me, I'm somewhere in the middle.

Breaking all the rules.  ;)

Imagine with me, if you will, a beautiful countryside fence.


On one side: pro-country music. On the other: anti-country music.

I'm sitting on the fence. I like country music, but  I don't like country music all the time, nor do I like every country musician. The country lovers call out to me, "Join us!" The country haters scream and shout, "Don't you dare!" What will I decide? Who will I join?

I sway back and forth on the fence like I'm riding a teeter-totter.

But isn't my decision already made?

I like country music. No, not all of them, and goodness, not all the time. But I am standing securely in cowboy boats and swaying to guitar twangs.

On their side of the fence.

Can you really be on the fence about anything? Obviously, everybody has things that they only tolerate some of the time. I despise olives, but I can tolerate them in a cream cheese roll-up. That's different. The big important things in life, like God, good, evil, money, and country music, there is no middle ground. You can't be on the fence.

The Bible tells us plan and simple that there is no "on the fence."

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Matthew 6:24

In Matthew 12, starting in verse 22, you see Jesus do something incredible. He heals yet another man. This man was blind and mute, and now he's walking around saying things like, "Colors seem so bright!" This was a happy occasion for all to see.

Or at least it should have been.

When the Pharisees heard, their pointy noses shot straight up, and they started muttering, "Jesus is doing these things through the power of the devil."

Jesus being Jesus, knew that they were whining about him. So he called them on the carpet. He gave a big speech, indicating just how stupid their accusation was. A kingdom divided against itself can't stand, so why would Satan be casting out Satan? It just doesn't work! Then he says the most important part in verse 30.

"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters."

My friends, you can't sit on the fence. By sitting on the fence, you've made a decision, and it isn't God. It's the world, and the world works against Jesus. In the story at the beginning, my character Jana realized where she was. By not choosing God, she was choosing the darkness.

If any of you have been struggling with this question in you life, I encourage you to hop off the fence and into God's arms. If you have any questions, or you need someone to talk with about this  decision, you are more then welcome to contact me! God bless you guys!

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Have a good week, guys. I will see you on March 1st!!  :)

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment