Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Review of True to You by Becky Wade



From the Back Cover ~

After a devastating heartbreak three years ago, genealogist and historical village owner Nora Bradford decided that burying her nose in her work and her books is far safer than romance in the here and now.

Unlike Nora, former Navy SEAL John Lawson is a modern-day man, usually 100 percent focused on the present. However, when John, an adoptee, is diagnosed with an inherited condition, he's forced to dig into the secrets of his ancestry.

John enlists Nora's help to uncover the identity of his birth mother, and as they work side by side, this pair of opposites begins to suspect that they just might be a perfect match. But can their hope for a future survive their wounds from the past?

For more information about Becky Wade and her books, check out her website here!

My Thoughts ~

Bookish peeps unite! ;) I love bookish heroines, and Becky Wade does not disappoint!

Nora loves books, history, vintage things, and shows like Downton Abby, so I instantly loved her. John seemed like your typical Navy SEAL (If there can even be a typical Navy SEAL???) until you start to peal back the layers on him. In fact, the whole story is beautifully layered with truths for the reader to find and cherish as they turn the pages. There's also a MAJOR plot twist that 1) seriously impressed me as an author, 2) shocked me as a reader, and 3) traumatized me as a young wife and mom because it hit too close to home.

True to You is a charming, funny, and touching story. Nora and John both have to confront new and old lies about themselves to discover their real self-image, their image in God. Through this whole story you can just feel the way God works things together for our good - even though we can't always see it.

Five Stars - An excellent start to a new series!!! I read Then Came You, the prequel novella, before reading True to You. It was a stellar little glimpse into what is sure to be a wonderful series! I really felt like I knew the characters and some of their struggles better because of reading it, but you do NOT need to read it first. The story makes perfect sense without it. I also applaud Becky Wade for trying a different writing style in Then Came You. And there's an awesome little Easter egg for Becky Wade's fans in True to You! I loved, loved, loved the little tie-in to The Porter Family Series and Her One and Only! Goodness, I can't wait to read Willow and Britt's stories! *insert impatient screams here*

I received a copy of True to You by Becky Wade from Bethany House Publishers, a division of Baker Publishing Group. All opinions expressed are my own.

God bless you guys! See you next time!

 Hugs!

~V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment