Tuesday, January 3, 2017

My Imperfect New Year's Eve (And Why That's Okay)

Hi guys! I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! <3


So did you guys have any big New Year's Eve plans? I did. They were so huge. Like Reese's peanut butter cups huge.

This was my New Year's Eve -


I found myself putting together the doll house that parent's whisper about with dread and despair. Seriously, this thing had like a hundred parts. And somehow I was fool enough to buy it. (Ahem. Okay, so I didn't realize it wasn't put together... I know! I know! Please don't mock me!)

It's so cute and cool, though!

So I put together this insane princess castle, my husband got home from work, Gilmore Girls played in the background, and my husband stayed up just long enough to give me a New Year's Kiss.

That's it.

Okay, so maybe boring. It wasn't the perfect definition of New Year's Eve.

And you know what?

That's okay. Really okay. I'm actually pretty content with it.

Because here's the thing. Think about 2016. All the ups and downs. All the laughter. All the joy. All the heartache. All the trails. All the births. All the loss. Everything that made up 2016 for you. It's the past tucked into bed with a nice warm quilt.

Now think about all the things you're excited for, dreading, and expecting in 2017. The unknown wrapped in a pretty silver ribbon.

How does one take all the life from the previous year and all the anticipation for the coming year and combine them into a few perfect hours, minutes, or seconds?

It's kind of a let down because I usually fail.

Except for the years when I don't try. And I just live in the glorious moments. Some have been exciting. Some have been calm.

All have been lovely.

And it's in those moments, when I'm not chasing the elusive New Year's Eve, that I hear my Father whisper these words:

"Happy New Year."

And there's nothing boring about what He's made new.

Hugs!

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment