Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Review of Shadow of the Storm by Connilyn Cossette




From the Back Cover:

In the darkness of the storm's shadow, only truth can light her way.

Having escaped Egypt with the other Hebrews during the Exodus, Shira is now living in freedom at the foot of Mount Sinai. When the people rebel by worshipping a golden idol, the ensuing chaos gives Shira an unexpected opportunity to assist a midwife. When the experience awakens a new desire in her, she defies her mother's wish for her to continue in the family weaving trade and pursues her heart's calling as an apprentice midwife.

But when a delivery goes horribly wrong, Shira finds herself in an impossible situation and bound to a man who betrayed her. As contention between the Hebrew tribes and the foreigners fans the flames of another dangerous rebellion, Shira comes face to face with the long-hidden pain of her past. Can she let go of all that has defined her to embrace who she truly is and believe in a hopeful future?

My Thoughts:

Oh, my friends. This book... This beautiful, haunting book... I so adored it! Shadow of the Storm torn my heart out. I wept. Yet by the end of the story, I felt... Built up. Stronger. Connected. Brave.

Biblical fiction has rapidly become one of my favorite genres. I love seeing these amazing lessons and nuggets of truth that another person has taken into their heart then woven into a beautiful story.

Shira is a wonderful character. She's wounded and foolish at times, but that makes her triumph all the more glorious. She's one of the most relatable characters I've read this year. Her accounts of midwifery were moving, realistic, yet terrifying given my traumatic labor and delivery. (It certainly made me even more thankful for all the knowledge God has given to us and for guiding the doctors hands during my daughter's birth!)

I loved, loved, loved reading about Israel's time at Mount Sinai. I don't know about you, but I've become so accustomed to reading through these accounts in Exodus, that I've become a wee bit desensitized. Being forced to remember and imagine that while reading was so difficult, but it reminded me that these are people just like us. They had their own junk, and that's why they were the way they were. And when they allowed God to heal their wounds, amazing things happened. Reading this story about this group of battered, broken slaves being transformed into the mighty nation of Israel is incredible.

I highly recommend Shadow of the Storm. Five Stars!

Shadow of the Storm is the second book in Connilyn Cossette's Out from Egypt Series. The third book, Wings of the Wind, releases May 2017

I received a copy of Shadow of the Storm by Connilyn Cossette from Bethany House Publishers, a division of Baker Publishing Group. All opinions expressed are my own.

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment