Saturday, June 20, 2015

Meet the Meet Cute Socks

So in the writing world, there is a term called the "meet cute." It's that moment when the hero and heroine first meet. The more abnormal this first encounter - at least in my opinion - the better. The future couple just can't meet at a Bible study. There needs to be drama, humor, some kind of physical collision, or clash of personalities. My favorite way to write a meet cute is with a clash of personalities. Usually ending with the heroine embarrassing herself.

For instance, Erynn Mangum has a meet cute in Miss Match (Book 1 of the Lauren Holbrook Series). The heroine meets her future husband at a Bible study, BUT she meets him while hiding a bag of Oreos from the rest of the Bible study. He totally catches her. ;)

Cute?

Yes. :)

In Robin Jones Gunn's popular Christy Miller Series, the heroine meets her husband-to-be when a dip in the ocean goes horribly wrong. She ends up crashing to the shore, tangled up in seaweed.

In Janice Thompson's hysterical Weddings by Bella Series, the heroine meets her dream man when she mistakes his name, DJ, for his profession. She tires to hire this cowboy to do the music for her first wedding as a "professional" wedding coordinator.

See? All cute, funny, horribly embarrassing meet cutes. :)

Lately I've been toying over the idea of a meet cute over warm socks...

Yes, I said socks. Warm socks to be exact. There's a story behind this crazy thought. You see, when my husband and I were dating, I had a tendency of having cold feet. In the physical sense. When it was a beautiful day outside, I had (and still do) a habit of wearing shoes that are not very warm. Flip-flops, flats, sandals. And every time my feet would start to FREEZE!

And every time my now-husband would give me a pair of his socks to stop my feet from turning blue and falling off.

Sam's socks were never this cool. ;)
 
He takes care of me.

This always makes me think of how God takes care of us. How He says if he can take care of the little birds, and make sure they eat, then how much more will He take care of us? Is there a spiritual meet cute where God gives us warm socks? I think there is.

Every day of our lives.

After the story's meet cute, there is always angst, drama, and confusion. It's the page-turning conflict that keeps us reading the book. The characters are never certain what's going to happen next, or how their lives will turn out. Will Sally get her happy ending? The reader can find out by flipping to the end of the book, and seeing that Sally does indeed marry the Tony Stark look alike. The average writer usually sometimes sort of knows what will happen to the character.

But us? Well, we haven't got a clue what's going to happen next in the story of our lives.

"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matthew 6:26

But I know that the Great Author is good. I know that from first page to meet cute from confusion to last chapter that He is going to take care of me. He's always going to give me a pair of cozy, fuzzy socks.

And God is way nicer to us then any author out there. ;)

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment