Monday, December 1, 2014

Winter and Thanksgiving

Greetings from my snowy neck of the woods! I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was good, full of turkey and gravy, and God's blessings.

First thing on Thanksgiving Day, we got to my mom's house and spent twenty minutes throwing snowballs and icicles at the TV satellite. And by we, I mean my husband and mom. I throw like a girl. There was a heavy snow storm the night before, and we woke up with over a foot of new snow.

Winter has arrived.

This Thanksgiving I attempted an egg souffle recipe that my mother-in-law gave to me at my bridal shower.  I had to use a different cheese due to the snow storm attack, but according to my family and husband, it came out very good, despite not having the same smooth consistency my mother-in-law's does.

It wasn't until I made it again this weekend that I realized I forgot the milk.




This is my second attempt this weekend. I remembered the milk this time, used a ton of extra cheese, and too much butter. What do you think? :)

This is one of the easiest recipes I have ever done, and that's saying something. I despise cooking. There, I said it. I am the one in the family who gets all the burning water jokes. Once I made a batch of muffins that tasted like pancakes. Why? I have no idea. I followed the recipe!

Anyways. Here is the recipe for the easy egg souffle:

Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 lb sharp, shredded cheddar cheese
1 dozen eggs
salt & pepper (according to taste, diet, etc.)
4 cups of milk
16 slices of white bread
1/2 cup of melted butter

Instructions:
Remove the crust from the bread, and cube it.
Alternate layers of bread cubes and cheese.

Beat eggs well.
Add salt and pepper.
Add in butter.
Add in milk.

Pour mixture all over bread and cheese layers.
Refrigerate overnight.
Bake 1 & 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.

Enjoy!

If you try it, you have to tell me what you think!!

Do you guys have some favorite recipes? What are they?

High on my Things I'm Thankful For List, is a lifelong goal that was achieved this weekend.

Are you ready for it?

This weekend.

At the store.

I was called "Ma'am," by an older woman.

Confused? That's alright. Inducing confusion is another facet of my twisted sense of humor.

I'm in my twenties and married, but with little effort, I could pass for a pre-adolescent twelve year old. I stopped growing when I was twelve, landing at 5 foot 3 inches. I have a horrid baby face, and being called cute for any reason use to result in Hulk-like rage from me. I was a classic case of 10 going on 16.

So being called Ma'am by an older, elderly adult was a very satisfying moment for me.

I'm thankful for my cute new town people.

The newlyweds!




I need help naming them. Victoria and Rohan? Lorelei and Luke? Laurel and Abram? I need thoughts, people! What do you think?

In my other blogs, I did the traditional thanksgiving message. I talked about the ten lepers found in Luke 17, and the one and only man who came back to thank Jesus. I talked about how it's important that we remember to thank God for all that He's done for us this year.

If you want to read more, here's the link: http://www.snacktimedevotions.blogspot.com/2014/11/thank-you.html

But I was thinking about anther facet of thankfulness this year.

This is my second Thanksgiving married to Sam. Both years I've had this Hallmark idea of what the holiday should look like among friends, family, and cranberry sauce.

Both years, the motion picture was not quite up to snuff due to work and life. Don't get me wrong, they have been lovely. I have an amazing family. Things just never go the way I plan it.

I think Christy Miller from Robin Jones Gunn's beloved Christy Miller Series said it best.

"It seems that when dreams come true, they never turn out the same way you dreamed them. They twist and turn and disappoint, leaving you wanting so much more. I don't know which to blame: the dream itself or the reality that dissolves the dream."

-Christy Miller / Yours Forever by Robin Jones Gunn

I think that sometimes we forget to not just be thankful for the good things (food, a house, family, toilet paper), but to be thankful for all the other stuff. Even the bad.

"And he said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.'" Job 1;21 ESV

"But he said to her, 'You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil.' In all this Job did not sin with his lips." Job 2:10 ESV

I'm not going to get into all the arguments/discussions/observations about Job, but at the beginning of his trials, Job really understood this principle. He understood that you have to be thankful in the good and the bad. This is one of the facets of Thanksgiving and thankfulness that God has been drilling into my thick skull.

Although, I suppose remembering that made everything a little Hallmark-y after all. :) I am thankful for my amazing family, and every moment with them.

I am thankful to have gotten my hands on these fabulous new releases!





 


I met Betsy St. Amant and Katherine Reay this past September at the American Christian Fiction Writers conference. They are just so nice and fun, and so are their stories! I highly recommend all of their books. :)

These are all on my Christmas/winter reading list.



But currently I am reading:




Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay!

It's been fun catching up with you guys. God bless you all, my friends. I will see you on December 10th! :)

V. Joy Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment